Friday, 28 June 2013

Goodbye Fortune Centre

28 June 2013 marks my last day of work at 190 Middle Road Fortune Centre. I have been with my current company for a good 5 years now and these 5 years had been a emotional one for me. I shared happy moments with some wonderful people whom I was fortunate to meet and met some detestable, downright awful humans.
 
I can't say that it has been an easy journey; it was not. I had struggles with inner demons on many personal issues associated with my job, including trying to meet certain expectations and understanding complex human machinations that are so very different from my straight-to-the-point nature. In the early days, I was completed baffled by the very new and strange work environment and had shed many a tear over things I could not control. You may think I am crazy for investing so emotionally in a run-of-the-mill job. Perhaps I am but for myself, I value a conducive work environment over a well-paying job. So sue me!
 
Instead of long paragraphs of what I will miss about the place, I will compile them into a list instead:
 
  1. Lunch times with Eleen Tay
  2. The convenience of going home after work (30 min of train from Little India as opposed to 1 hour of train from Tg Pagar) 
  3. Cheap, decent meals ($5 will get you far in Middle Road!)
  4. Friendly, wonderful colleagues who work hard and play harder
  5. Approachable boss and immediate manager
  6. Knowing the insides and outsides of the company system since I am practically a fossil there
  7. Flexibility of work hours and leave days
  8. Easy availability of every single thing I need (Retail therapy? Bugis Junction. Chinese herbal stuff? Dime a dozen around my office. Baby stuff? 20% discount at OG!)
Today being my last day at work, I was treated to lunch at Manhattan Fish Market by my colleagues and I think the staff was taken aback at our numbers. Twenty one, to be exact. They had to scramble to get enough tables and chairs for us and there weren't enough menus to go around. I was also presented with a Crabtree & Evelyn 'hamper'. In the words of the purchaser in charge: 'I wasn't sure which fragrance you like so I got different products. You will smell completely different from head to toe.' Sandy Wong, I had a good laugh when I saw that message.
 
Thank you to the wonderful people at CPA and APP. I really will miss you guys!
 
 
 
My farewell lunch at Manhattan Fish Market
 
 
My farewell gift (looking forward to using them!)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment