Wednesday, 10 April 2013

Furgie (Part II)

Furgie was officially introduced into our newly minted household sometime in early Oct 2009. We did not know at the time that it was to be a significant year for us, nor did we expect to be welcoming TWO new members into the folds of our home. In just under 2 months of Furgie setting paws over our threshold, I found myself accidentally pregnant (the pregnancy I mean, not the finding out part though that was very accidental too!).
 
From looking up books on understanding more about the breed, I found myself back in the bookstores reading up about how to aclimatise Furgie to the idea that she is going to have this Hobbit-like fella as a companion around the house. Our main fear was that we should be so "lucky: (lucky lucky lucky! I should be so lucky in love! So says Kylie Minogue...) to have gotten a pooch who is hostile towards incontinent Oompa Loompas covered in regurgitated milk.
 
Fast forward to 02 June 2010: T. Yeow was officially drop-kicked by the stork into the hallowed wards of Mt A, into the arms of a woozy mum and a (???) dad. One of the research materials I read suggested that new parents gently introduce the new wrinkly arrival to a pet already residing in the house by letting it scent objects belonging to the said wrinkly bundle. That was exactly what we did. The Dad snucked used baby clothing out at night while I was still recovering in hospital and let Furgie sniff them to her heart's content.
 
On the day that T was brought home, the first thing we did was a Divide & Conquer - Mum going down to dog level (with a corgi, that was a very low level indeed) with T and Dad hung on to Furgie for dear life while simultaneously allowing her to sniff T's tiny feet and bum. As tired as I was then, it was kinda funny to see Furgie very curiously sniffing out T's diaper-clad bum, the same way a dog will check out another dog. I dunno, it could be the lovely pungent smell of baby poo that aroused Furgie's interest...Happily enough, Furgie displayed no sign of hostility towards T and went on her merry way after the initial introductions were made.
 
(to be continued....)

No comments:

Post a Comment