Friday, 11 January 2013

A Brush with Jaundice

Jaundice
 
A couple of weeks after T came home from the hospital, we noticed that he has taken on a yellow-ish pallor and his first visit to the PD confirmed our fears: Jaundice.
 
Having just cleared the doors of Mount A, we trooped back again to have him admitted for a date with the UV lamp. It tore at my heart to see his little diaper-clad form baking in a strange blue light but we prayed hard that this will clear his jaundice which hovered around the higher index range. After 3 days, he was discharged but still had to be checked weekly for monitoring purposes. So every Monday, the Husband will drop me and the Confinement Lady off at HG Polyclinic for a weekly blood test and doctor consultation.
 
Throughout this whole episode, I kep thinking: Did I do something wrong that had brought on the jaundice? Was it those onion rings I ate last night? (Wait, that would have made him green with the fart smells, not yellow.) After doing some research work, I read that kiddies are more likely to get jaundice if:
 
  • were pre-mature (T was induced at 37 weeks due to low amnotic fluids)
  • boys (duh!)
  • some other criteria that had been gobbled up by Mummy Brain Syndrome (doh!)
Happily, his condition cleared up when he was about 1.5 months old and I now know the floor-plan of HG Polyclinic for when I ever decide to burglarise the place for its stash of Ibufen and Panadol.
 
 
Winding up for the night now. Thanks to the 3 readers who supported my 1st blog (and one of them warranted a post on her own FB about this) and good night!
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment