Unrelated note: again happily sitting in a Reserved Seat now with no one to ka chiau me while typing this entry.
I had an interesting encounter with a colleague at work today.
We were having a chat about mummy stuff (she being a mother of one while me being a mother of 1.75) where she suddenly requested for a sanitary napkin from me. Yep, sanitary napkin. My eyebrows shot up through the roof as my mind unbiddingly conjured up images of a blood soaked Whisper pad being passed from my hand to hers. Where the hell was I supposed to find such a thing when my last period was 8 months ago anyway??
Anyway, the eyebrow came down after she clarified on her request: apparently there's some wierd superstition floating out there about if you get a sanitary pad from a lady who is fertile/pregnant (I can't quite comment on this cos again, this conjures up strange images of an Indian fertility goddess with boobs hanging down to her navel and tonnes of little babies hanging around her fertile feet. Dun ask me why...) and use it (hopefully in the way that a pad is meant to be used), it will boost the user's chances of getting kids too. Beats me if a guy is the one planning to use it though.
In normal circumstances, I will be running miles away if such a request had came from someone I don't know every well. But some background info about this colleague: she had conceived her son through IVF and was pretty 'envious' when she heard that I was expecting a girl.
Not seeing any harm in passing her a clean, unused sanitary pad (I keep a pack in office just in case), she got what she wanted and I remain a little bemused when I think about this curious incident.
No comments:
Post a Comment