"What's in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. "
I was having a chit chat with a girlfriend who is expecting her second child in mid-October this year and the topic of baby names came up. One of the names that made her list was Joy but unfortunately she was told by her dad that in Hakka, this name sounded like a certain part of the male anatomy which made her pregnant in the first place. Being Hakka, this is likely to cause many raised eyebrows from her relatives of she really decided to name the baby Joy.
Baby names. One of the fun parts of having a baby. Or at least I had fun trying to come up with names when the gender is revealed (it's a girl! *happy dance*) The names that made my list were:
1. Raven (shot down by the Husband *spoil sport*),
2. Amber and
3. Mystique (the latest instalment of X-Men of which I was a huge fan of was playing in cinemas at around the same time)
After a month of deliberation, we settled on Kylie even though I am not a big fan of her more famous name-sake Kylie Minogue. In the Husband's words: "Please lah...by the time she grows up, u think anyone will know Kylie Minogue meh??"
Time went by and 'Kylie' was officially on Baby Girl's birth certificate. Being too 'free' at home, I started playing Word Association with my mental self and realised that her name actually sound like Kali, the Indian goddess of Destruction & Change. Not a very pleasant association if the stories I heard have any truth in them. Even worse, Kylie's initials are pretty close to a certain type of lubricant too...
No comments:
Post a Comment